May 24, 2021
Are you planning to start a career in aged care sector in Australia? If yes, then it’s a great decision. The courses that are becoming quite popular and progressive are the different aged care courses in Perth. If you really like to spend time and care for persons aged about 65 or more, then it’s a suitable course for you to apply. According to research, the number of aged persons in Australia had reached to 16.2% of total population in the year 2020. It is estimated to increase more in the coming years. So, you can understand that how demanding the sector will become in near future.
What is The Entry-level Qualification for Working in The Aged Care Sector?
You have to first understand that you will be dealing with such people who need loving and special care so that they can stay positive and lively. So, very naturally you have to possess specialized skills in order to attend their needs. For the start, you will need proper education and training in the different aspects of aged care job. A Certificate III in aged care course can be extremely helpful in this regard. This course acts like a stepping stone to set foot on this very field as you will learn the basics of aged care correctly from highly skilled and experienced professionals.
- A person’s well-being is closely associated with health. A good health always keeps him/her happy. With age, it’s quite natural that health declines. So, as an aged care course candidate, you will learn necessary human anatomy details and the ways to keep it well-functioning.
- Old people usually consume certain medicines, ranging from medicines for basic health issues to chronic long-term diseases. So, it is important for an aged care worker to assist them with medications.
- For old people, going out of their house may be difficult. That is why you must gain experiences in packaging.
- Sometimes, aged persons wish to do some basic jobs on their own like booking a restaurant. In such situations, you have to be extremely patient so that they can develop the feeling of being independent.
- As different persons have distinct behaviour and choices, the requirements to meet their needs are also quite different. As an aged care professional, you will meet different clients every day. So, you have to customize the available support to meet their distinct requirements.
- Dementia is a cursing situation for any person. Aged persons very often fall victim to this disorder. And you need to know special strategies to interact with or assist such a client.
- You will learn to work collectively. While giving support to an aged person, you will also need to work effectively with their relatives and co-workers as well.
- You will also learn how to work in community sector like a community care centre or a nursing home.
- You will be taught how to incorporate positive attitude in an aged person. Above all, that is the main objective of aged care and support.
You can take Certificate III in individual support to get a job in the disability support sector. Even if you’re already working, then also you can opt for the course.
What Are The Prerequisites to Join The Course?
There are certain requirements that you should meet while applying for this course which are as follows.
- Educational qualification: You will be happy to hear that this course does not require any formal educational qualification. However, you will need an English level up to 10 as you have to go through several reading and writing assessments. If you do not have that, you need to complete a Certificate II training course from a nationally recognized institute. Or if you have 2 years of working experience in a role that requires written record-keeping and qualification, then also you will be eligible to apply.
- Age limit: You need to be at least 16 years of age. If you’re above that age but below 18, then you will require submitting a signed permission from your parent or guardian.
- Computer skills: Computer skills are basic requirements for any course or job as most of the works are done online or through software. You need to have some basic computer skills like creating, saving and editing Microsoft Office documents, using internet for various purposes, taking part in online conferences or discussions (this has become quite normal in this post-pandemic time), transferring or saving documents from different websites, linking cameras to computer to transfer photo files etc.
- Practical experience: You need to gather 120 hours of experience from two working institutions to get practical experience as it is a basic requirement for completion of Certificate III in individual support course.
Read More:- 5 Reasons Why You Should Study Certificate III in Individual Support
In the next four decades, the number of aged Australians will be nearly 9 million. So, you can clearly understand that, you will get ample of opportunities in the field of aged care. Do not waste any more time. Choose an appropriate course and get enrolled as quickly as possible.